(picture at left): Commemorating Birthday - Wes Boughner of the Ypsilanti Area Jaycees checks out the bronze plaque donated by Jaycees to the city and imbedded in a large rock in front of Sesquicentennial Headquarters on North Huron Street. The plaque, commemorating the city's Sesquicentennial, was promised to the city during Jaycee week and was put in place Friday afternoon (Press Photo - 7/1/1973).|
State of Michigan, Michigan Legislature - House Concurrent Resolution No. 86.
WHEREAS, The week of June 30 to July 8, 1973, will mark an important milestone in the development and growth of one of Michigan's most prosperous areas. One hundred fifty years ago Major Benjamin Woodruff and he companions from Sandusky, Ohio, cam to southeastern Michigan and founded, on the east bank of the Huron River, "Woodruff's Grove," the first village in Washtenaw County; and
WHEREAS, The beginning of a survey for a government road over old Sauk Trail, running from Detroit to Chicage, saw the abandonment of the Grove. However, a mile away, the village of Ypsilanti was begun in 1825 by several landowners, the most prominent of whom was Judge Augustus B. Woodward. A classical scholar and, like many other Americans, intensely interested in the Greek war for independence which was then raging, he named the town for a heroic Greek Leader, Demetrius Ypsilanti; and
WHEREAS; Ypsilanti not only acquired a Greek namesake, but also in the heritage of the philosophers, developed a long lasting respect towards education. In so doing Ypsilanti laid the groundwork for Michigan's position of leadership in education. As early as 1830 the first school house was built, and fourteen years later Charles Woodruff started the first school for studies beyond the elememtary grades. In 1848, this school was taken over by Reverend L. H. Moore and transformed into a seminary, long recognized among educational circles. With the creation of Michigan State Normal College in 1849 came the first teacher training school west of the Allegahanies and for fifty years the only "normal" college in the State. This institution, since its founding, has continued to expand its facilities and curriculum to meet the increasing needs of society. Today, Eastern Michigan University stands as a symbol of educational achievement and excellence; and
WHEREAS; Strategically located on the Huron River and Chicago Road, Ypsilanti was a natural spot for economic development. Early industry included paper mills, carriage factories, and cigar manufacturing. The greatest boon to industrial development came in 1932 when Ford Motor Company constructed a plant and power dam. Later Ypsilanti was to become the site of the Willow Run plant, famous during World War II as the producer of bombers for the Allied Air Armada; and
WHEREAS, The Ypsilanti of 1973 is inhabited by people who, like the founding fathers, are proud of the educational, economical, cultural, and recreational opportunities which this friendly and pleasant area offers; now therefore be it
RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES (the Senate concurring), That by these present, tribute is accorded with great good will to the Ypsilanti area dnd its renaissance of founding days; to the citizens - every man, woman, and child for the gifts they give and the heritage they cherish; and be it further
RESOLVED, That copies of this tribute be presented to the members of the Sesquicentennial Committee, the Mayor and City Council of Ypsilanti, and The Ypsilanti Township, Supervisor, Clerk, Treasurer, and Trustees, in testimony of the high esteem of the Michigan Legislature.
Adopted by the House April 10, 1973
Signed: T. Thomas Thatcher, Clerk of the House of Representatives