(junction of South Prospect and South Grove Streets)
|The Woodruff's Grove marker is located at the junction of South Prospect and South Grove Streets near the site of the original settlement in 1823. The marker was erected in the summer of 1923 by the Ypsilanti Chapter of the Daughter's of the American Revolution to honor the early frontiersmen who founded Ypsilanti.
In the summer of 1823, Major Benjamin J. Woodruff, with Oronte Grant, Hiram Tuttle, David Stiles, Willard and George Hall, William Eiclar, Danial Cross, David Beverly, S. Noyce, and Titus Bronson settled at or near this site and thus settled the first settlement in Washtenaw county. Major Woodruff became the first sheriff and post-master in the county.
Early in 1825, Congress authorized the survey of a highway from Detroit to Chicago. This is Michigan Avenue as we know it today. It passed about three-quarters of a mile north of Woodruff's Grove and spelled the doom of that new settlement. By 1927 the Woodruffs, as well as the other settlers moved north into Ypsilanti.
In February, 1824, the first white child was born in Washtenaw County. His name was Alpha Washtenaw Bryan, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Johnb Bryan, who were among the first Woodruff's Grove settlers.
In 1997, Keturah Haab, widow of Oscar Haab, donated the half acre of property where the marker is located to the City of Ypsilanti. Oscar Haab founded the Old German Restaurant in Ann Arbor, and later, with his brother Otto, co-founded Haab's Restaurant in Ypsilanti.