Ypsilanti Water Tower - 1890

  • The Ypsilanti Water Tower was completed in 1890. It was the only water tower in the Ypsilanti water system until 1956.

  • The tower is 147’ tall with an 84’ base. The tower holds 250,000 gallons of water.

  • The tower is a registered “American Water Landmark.” It is also recognized as a “Landmark Tower” by the American Society of Civil Engineers. The tower was restored in 1976.

  • In 2003, the tower was voted the “World’s Most Phallic Building” by Cabinet Magazine in an international competition.

BACK PAGE 35 CONTINUE