- A three story railroad depot with a tower was built in Ypsilanti in 1864. The depot was considered to be the finest facility on the Michigan Central line, which ran between Detroit and Chicago. The depots of Detroit and Ann Arbor at the time were compared to barns.
In order to attract the best qualified station master, the second and third floors of the depot were designed as living quarters.
The upper two floors of the depot were lost to fire in 1910.