Depot Town - 1849

  • On February 8, 1838, the first train arrived from Detroit on the “Central Road.”

  • Shortly after the arrival of the first train, 53 nineteenth-century mills were established along the Huron River between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor.

  • In approximately 1849, a commercial district including hotels, lodge halls, grocery stores, taverns, and other small businesses began to develop along River and Cross Streets.

  • The picture at the left is of the centennial celebration of Depot Town.

BACK PAGE 14 CONTINUE